Registration for this spring is now open and being handled on a first-come, first-served basis. Please see registration details below.
South Orange/Maplewood families! Please go here:
We will continue to go above and beyond recommended COVID guidelines to help ensure the safety of your kids. Being outdoors, and not in confined indoor space, has proven to be one of the safest options and we have run our program for nearly two years with zero cases. Though masks will be optional moving forward, we left our original
Our weekly Central Park EDventures will include shelter building, bird tracking and woodlands hide-and-seek -- plus an original variety of awesome outdoor games & activities! This exhilarating, FUN outdoor program builds confidence, while encouraging teamwork, creativity and open-ended education.
The possibilities? Endless. The experiences? Memorable.
The FUN? Guaranteed!!!
We will be outdoors; please be prepared for all types of weather.
If you did not receive the registration e-mail, you can access it below. Moving forward, the best way to find out when registration opens each season is to sign up for our e-mail list, which you can also access below.
DETAILS & INFORMATION, SPRING 2022:
- For many of you, registration goes directly through the schools we work with, so please contact your After-School Director for more information on dates, how to sign up, etc. For those who don't attend any of the schools we currently work with, or if the day we are offered at your school doesn't fit your schedule, we do have a couple of Open Groups, which are available to anyone. Sign-ups for these go directly through us.
- NOTE: If your child attends The Anderson School, Manhattan School for Children or Success Academy Upper West, we will continue to pick-up at these schools and sign-ups go directly through us for these groups as well. Each is a little different, so please click the link to your school's flyer below for specific registration information. For the record, registration for Manhattan New School also goes through us, but this group is on semesters and enrollment is closed for the rest of the school year.
- Our Open Groups will be available Tuesdays and Thursdays, starting March 29, and will run through June 23. This is an outdoor program (rain, snow or shine) in Central Park, drop-off only.
- The Open Groups run from 3:30 to 5:15 p.m. Because enrollment will be limited, each child can enroll in one group per week, per season only. Participants must also enroll for the entire season; no daily drop-ins will be permitted.
- We will assign kids as best we can in the order requests are received, but please note that there may not be space for all who would like to join. If you sign up with friends, siblings, etc., we will attempt to place in them in the same group, by request, if possible.
- Space will be limited and we are unable to provide any financial aid or sibling discounts. The minimum is 5 participants, the maximum is 18.
- Central Park drop off & dismissal, Open Groups: This is subject to change each season, but the Tuesday group currently meets at West 85th Street and the Thursday group is at West 93rd Street.
- Our program is available to boys and girls, from grades K-5. We do not split the kids up by age and always keep everyone all together. Younger children may have a harder time with the social distancing requirements, so please keep that in mind. We cannot accept anyone younger than 5.
- Masks are now optional while we are outdoors, but all participants will still need to bring a face covering in case it becomes necessary. This could be for an activity with a lot of close contact, for when using the park restrooms or any other scenarios that may come up.
- When necessary, all instructors have plenty of hand sanitizer on hand for when handwashing is not available/practical.
- We will continue to practice social distancing throughout the day as much as possible. Those who have a difficult time with this may be asked to wear a mask at certain times.
- We will not be providing any food and we ask that you please do not send any if you are enrolled in one of our Open Groups. Please make sure your child has eaten a snack prior to arrival. The only thing you need to pack is a water bottle, as we will not be using the park's water fountains.
- To pre-register, just e-mail Mike to reserve your spot on the list.
- When pre-registering, please include your child's full name, age and preferred day. Registration will be handled on a first-come, first-served basis.
If your child attends one of the following schools, program details vary by group. Please click the applicable link below for your group's registration flyer:
The Anderson School| Open Groups
Manhattan School for Children| Success Academy Upper West
- Once you receive your confirmation e-mail, you will be asked to fill out and submit the Registration Form (link below), if you are new to the program. Your child's spot cannot be reserved without a completed Form, but please note...ANYONE WHO HAS BEEN IN THE PROGRAM THIS SCHOOL YEAR DOES NOT NEED TO FILL OUT ANOTHER FORM.
- The cost will vary depending on the day of the week, but it is $45/child/session. Payment is not due until you receive a separate payment e-mail, which will be sent out once it is confirmed that your group will run. We do not accept credit cards, but details for electronic payments will be included in your payment e-mail. Those who wish to pay by check, please make them payable to Mohr's Explorers, LLC.
- Once the confirmation and payment e-mails have gone out, registration will not be official until the form and full payment have been received.
HOW TO SIGN-UP:
If you have any questions, or if you wish to enroll your child, please e-mail Mike.
We provide continuously updated and original activities throughout each session and season. On any given day, we will be able to hike 1-2 miles, within the areas of Central Park nearest to your child's school or Open Group meeting spot. This affords ample opportunities to...
- discover interesting rocks, bridges, water bodies, wooded areas, fields and even waterfalls!
- learn about areas of the park they never knew existed.
- uncover park secrets - often things that many New Yorkers do not even know.
- spot statues like Still Hunt and structures such as the Bow Bridge.
- study a few edible plants.
- memorize various types of birds and trees.
Explorers are expected to arrive with a positive attitude, a desire to have fun and be ready to adjust to new settings and situations. Full participation is encouraged and we will provide a safe emotional and physical climate so that it feels OK to try new things. However, we will never ask anyone to do anything that he or she is uncomfortable doing. In addition;
- Children are continuously supervised.
- We maintain at least a 1:9 staff-to-child ratio.
- We teach Leave No Trace, which promotes responsible outdoor recreation. We are conscientious to at least leave the park the way we find it, minimize our impact, respect all wildlife and be considerate of other visitors in the park.
- All group leaders are trained in First Aid & CPR and carry a First Aid Kit at all times.
- Pick-up and drop-off points are at the Explorers' respective schools for most groups, unless prior arrangements are made. For some groups, it will be at a pre-designated corner near the park.
And yes, we definitely go out in the winter! For 20+ winters, Mike has been taking groups of kids this age into the park -- as long as everyone properly prepares for the weather and bundles up on cold days, the elements are rarely an issue. We enthusiastically take what Mother Nature bestows and plan snow activities whenever possible. If you are not sure what to wear during the after-school program or if you want a refresher on our rules, just click the links below! Those concerned about it getting darker earlier at this time of the year, it's really only our last few sessions in December and our first few in January and then we already have more daylight again. We are usually making our way back when it starts getting dark anyway.
As with anything, please e-mail Mike with any questions, comments or concerns.
Enrollment fees are fully refundable until the first session. 75% will be refunded until the second session and 50% will be refunded until the third. Fees are non-refundable after the third session, regardless of the reason for withdrawal. In order to ensure quality staff each week, the cost is the same, regardless of how many sessions your child ends up attending. There are no daily drop-ins, no refunds or credits will be issued for absences or dismissal and we cannot offer any make-up sessions. We also will not cancel sessions because of weather. Except in extreme cases, there is always a back-up plan, even if school is cancelled. Just e-mail Mike to find out what we are doing! (For the record, this is against policy at some of our schools, so we are bound to that in those instances).