Thank you to all who were a part of our 2021 Summer Outdoor Program. We are thrilled that it went so well, that we were able to keep things safe and most importantly, that the kids had a blast!
Who knows what next summer will bring? 2021 was our first try at a SOMa Summer Program. It may change next summer or we may do more of what we did last summer, which we have left below for reference. Summer registration typically opens at some point after winter break, but as with everything these days, we will take it day-by-day and see how it goes.
Our Summer South Mountain Reservation EDventures will include shelter building, bird tracking, woodlands hide-and-seek and survival skills -- plus an original variety of awesome outdoor games & activities! This exhilarating outdoor program builds confidence, while encouraging teamwork, creativity and open-ended education.
The possibilities? Endless. The experiences? Memorable.
The FUN? Guaranteed!!!
We will be outdoors; please be prepared for all types of weather.
DETAILS AND INFORMATION:
- Enrollment will be limited. At most, we anticipate 18 kids per group with the same two instructors each week.
- The first session will run from 9:00 a.m. to 1:00 p.m. each day and the second session will run from 1:30 to 5:30 p.m. Because enrollment will be limited, each child can choose either the morning or afternoon session each week, not both. *** Please note: The week of June 28-July 2 will no longer be running and it is unlikely that any of the afternoon sessions will run either, except for possibly the week of July 12, if a couple more kids enroll. ***
- The dates are July 5-9, July 12-16, July 19-23 and July 26-30. You do not have to enroll for all five weeks, but anyone who wishes to attend will need to enroll for at least one full week. No daily drop-ins will be permitted this summer.
- Drop off will be at the Tulip Springs Parking Lot, just off of Cherry Lane. We will assign kids as best we can in the order that requests are received, but please note that there may not be enough demand for each time frame each of the offered weeks. If you sign up with friends, siblings, etc., we will attempt to place in them in the same group, by request.
- Our program is for boys and girls, ages 5-11. However, younger children may have a harder time with some of the social distancing requirements and all of the hiking, so please keep that in mind. All participants must be bathroom independent and we cannot accept anyone younger than 5 this summer.
- All morning session participants bring a packed lunch and water; all afternoon participants bring a packed snack and water.
- There will be a health screening assessment each day at check-in, including non-contact temperature checks.
- There will be no shared equipment, no activties with any contact, nor will there be any travel. All activities will take place within the South Mountain Reservation.
- We will practice social distancing throughout the day. We have plenty of fun activities that we can do with them in this manner and kids can easily still have the social experiences they have been lacking from a safe distance.
- All participants will need to bring their own face coverings each day. However, wearing them the entire time may not be required whenever we can maintain at least 6 feet from others.
- Washing hands is not possible where we are in the Reservation, but all instructors will have plenty of hand sanitizer on hand for whenever it is necessary.
- The cost for one full week is $375. We do not accept credit cards, but details for electronic payments will be included in your confirmation e-mail. Those who wish to pay by check, please make them payable to Mohr's Explorers, LLC.
- This is a small program with limited enrollment and we are unable to provide any financial aid, sibling discounts or multiple-week discounts.
- Registration is currently open and will be handled on a first-come, first-served basis. To pre-register, just e-mail Mike to reserve your spot on the list. Next, fill out and submit the Registration Form (link below) if you are new to the program, but please note...ANYONE WHO HAS BEEN IN THE PROGRAM THIS SCHOOL YEAR DOES NOT NEED TO FILL OUT ANOTHER FORM. A separate e-mail with payment information will be sent out later this spring, once registration is a little more settled.
If you have any questions, or if you wish to enroll your child, please contact Mike.
Full refunds will be issued for cancellations at least 7 days prior to the start of each week's program. Fees are non-refundable with less than 7 days notice, unless we are able to fill the spot. There are also no refunds or credits because of absences or dismissal and there are no substitutions from one week to another for missed sessions.