After-School Programs, NYC
Thank you for your amazing support and interest in our program!
Registration for the spring will be opening soon...
The best way to find out when registration opens each season is through our
e-mail list, which you can sign up for via the link a few paragraphs down.
South Orange/Maplewood families! Please go here:
The screen time stops here! Our weekly Central Park EDventures include shelter building, bird tracking and fun-filled woodlands quests -- plus an original variety of awesome games & activities! This exhilarating outdoor program builds confidence, while encouraging teamwork, creativity and open-ended education.
The possibilities? Endless! The experiences? Memorable!!
The FUN? Guaranteed!!!
We will be outdoors; please be prepared for all types of weather.
Once the spring registration e-mail goes out, you will also be able to access a copy of it below.
Moving forward, the best way to find out when registration opens each season is to sign up for our e-mail list, which you can also access below.
DETAILS & INFORMATION, SPRING 2024:
- For many of you, registration goes directly through the schools we work with, so please contact your After-School Director for more information on dates, how to sign up, etc.
- NOTE: If your child attends Manhattan School for Children (P.S. 333), we will continue to pick-up at this school and sign-ups go directly through us. Each group is a little different, so please click the link to your school's flyer below for specific registration information.
- Our Spring MSC Groups start Thursday, April 4 and Friday, April 5. The number of sessions varies, but these groups will run through Friday, March 21.
- Don't attend any of the schools we currently work with? Don't worry! Our Open Groups are available to all, require a park drop-off and we will try to offer at least one of these this spring, if there is a demand for it. Currently, the options are West 81st Street & Central Park West (Mondays) or West 103rd Street and Central Park West (Wednesdays). Sign-ups go directly through us for these as well (please see flyer below).
- Our Spring Open Groups start Monday, April 1 and Wednesday, April 3. The number of sessions varies, but these groups will run through Wednesday, June 12.
- Because enrollment will be limited, each child can enroll in one group per week, per season only. Participants must also enroll for the entire season; no daily drop-ins will be permitted.
- We will assign kids as best we can in the order requests are received, but please note that there may not be space for all who would like to join. If you sign up with friends, siblings, etc., we will attempt to place in them in the same group, by request, if possible.
- Space will be limited and we are unable to provide any financial aid or sibling discounts. The minimum is 5 participants, the maximum is 20.
- Our program is available to girls and boys, from grades K-5. We do not split the kids up by age and always keep everyone all together. We cannot accept anyone younger than 5 and everyone needs to be bathroom independent.
- We will not be providing any food. Please make sure your child has eaten a snack prior to arrival. The only thing you need to pack is a water bottle.
Once registration opens, to pre-register, just e-mail Mike to reserve your spot on the list, but please check your school/group flyer below first for what information needs to be included. Registration will be handled on a first-come, first-served basis.
Manhattan School for Children| Open Groups
(registration opens soon!)
- Once you receive your initial confirmation e-mail, everyone will need to fill out and submit the 2023-24 Registration Form (link below), which is good for the entire school year. Your child's spot cannot be reserved without a completed form, but please note...ANYONE WHO HAS BEEN IN THE PROGRAM THIS SCHOOL YEAR DOES NOT NEED TO FILL OUT ANOTHER FORM.
- The cost will vary, depending on the group's calendar, but it is $50/child/session. Payment is not due until you receive a separate payment e-mail, which will be sent out once it is confirmed that your group will run. We do not accept credit cards, but details for electronic payments will be included in your payment e-mail. Those who wish to pay by check, please make them payable to Mohr's Explorers, LLC.
- Once the confirmation and payment e-mails have gone out, registration will not be official until the form and full payment have been received.
HOW TO SIGN-UP:
If you have any questions, or if you wish to enroll your child, please e-mail Mike.
We provide continuously updated and original activities throughout each session and season. On any given day, we will be able to hike 1-2 miles, within the areas of Central Park nearest to your child's school or Open Group meeting spot. This affords ample opportunities to...
- discover interesting rocks, bridges, water bodies, wooded areas, fields and even waterfalls!
- learn about areas of the park they never knew existed.
- uncover park secrets - often things that many New Yorkers do not even know.
- spot statues like Still Hunt and structures such as the Bow Bridge.
- study a few edible plants.
- memorize various types of birds and trees.
Explorers are expected to arrive with a positive attitude, a desire to have fun and be ready to adjust to new settings and situations. Full participation is encouraged and we will provide a safe emotional and physical climate so that it feels OK to try new things. However, we will never ask anyone to do anything that he or she is uncomfortable doing. In addition;
- Children are continuously supervised.
- We maintain at least a 1:9 staff-to-child ratio.
- We teach Leave No Trace, which promotes responsible outdoor recreation. We are conscientious to at least leave the park the way we find it, minimize our impact, respect all wildlife and be considerate of other visitors in the park.
- All group leaders are trained in First Aid & CPR and carry a First Aid Kit at all times.
- Pick-up and drop-off points are at the Explorers' respective schools for most groups, unless prior arrangements are made. For some groups, it will be at a pre-designated corner near the park.
And yes, we definitely go out in the winter! For 20+ winters, Mike has been taking groups of kids this age into the park -- as long as everyone properly prepares for the weather and bundles up on cold days, the elements are rarely an issue. We enthusiastically take what Mother Nature bestows and plan snow activities whenever possible. If you are not sure what to wear during the after-school program or if you want a refresher on our rules, just click the links below! Those concerned about it getting darker earlier at this time of the year, it's really only our last few sessions in December and our first few in January and then we already have more daylight again. We are usually making our way back when it starts getting dark anyway.
As with anything, please e-mail Mike with any questions, comments or concerns.
Enrollment fees are fully refundable until the first session. 75% will be refunded until the second session and 50% will be refunded until the third. Fees are non-refundable after the third session, regardless of the reason for withdrawal. In order to ensure quality staff each week, the cost is the same, regardless of how many sessions your child ends up attending. There are no daily drop-ins, no refunds or credits will be issued for absences or dismissal and we cannot offer any make-up sessions. We also will not cancel sessions because of weather. Except in extreme cases, there is always a back-up plan, even if school is cancelled. Just e-mail Mike to find out what we are doing! (For the record, this is against policy at some of our schools, so we are bound to that in those instances).